Tuesday 21 December 2010

Numan interview


This was an interview I did with Numan about 2 months ago, was signed and sealed for a magazine, but for some reason or another, it didn't quite make it... so, here it is, happy days!

------------------------------------------------
 
Numan Khan from Manchester is a new artist for Planet Mu with an original musical style that mixes dubstep and grime influences with an idiosyncratic take on rhythm to great effect.
                                                                              -Planet Mu

SS Great release on Planet Mu, was there anywhere else you could see ‘Race Against Time’ being released other than Mu?

N: Nah man Mu was the one for that they take risks putting out experimental stuff and them four tunes are all different in a way... It's more of a showcase.

SS: You a fan of the Juke stuff they've been pushing out?

N: yeah man, me and DJ Roc were supposed to start some tunes, I started something... dunno what's going on now though. Both a bit busy.

SS: People say there’s a lot of grime influences in Race Against Time, you a fan of the grime scene?

N: Yeah I don't listen to much now though... just whenever i got time or if it is on my pc, but i grew up on Grime/Dubstep not disco etc I'm, not 30... stuff like Wiley's Tunnel Visions, Cold Blooded radio, Meridian sets etc... and just Dubstep stuff like Fabric Live 37, Dubstep Allstars Vol.5...

SS: What kind of DJ support have you been getting, and any MC’s wanting to jump on a track or 2, I could imagine ‘XX’ would put a smile on the face of a few grime-heads?
N: Yeah I don’t know about DJ Support to be honest i just send tracks out whenever to who's online after I finish a tune most of the time it is unfinished but fuck it... I know Scratcha has recently been pushing my stuff and P Money freestyled on ‘Again’.

SS: …and you can scan YouTube for that. Is there any particular DJ's you'd be real chuffed about if they spun out your track?

N: Nah man not really that's like forcing someone to play your tune if they really feel it they would play it.

SS: Any upcoming releases you got coming up that we should be on the look out for?

N: Yeah man got She Says coming out on Darkestral Recordings later this year I think...

SS: Glad to hear plans of that getting a release, heard it back on Mary Anne Hobbs, some colorful stuff!

…anyone on remix duty planned for anything on 'Race Against Time'? That you know of…

N: Nah don't think there is going to be any this EP is fully done now... on to the next one.
SS: Makes sense, keeping it moving is the only way. What’s your take on where dubstep is going? Or are you in the crowd that think the borders between genres are too thin anyway to worry about it?

N: Ah I don't know to be honest it's gone everywhere now but I don't really care I think it's that half-step pattern which is dying out not Dubstep itself.

SS: Is there any releases from anyone else you're looking forward to?

N: Joker's album and Darkstar's just came out which is sick!

SS: Yea, talks of mercury prize already for the Darkstar album, good luck to'em... Lastly, any upcoming gigs? or mixes we should be on the lookout for?
N: Yeah recording a mix for Bestival's website tonight which i think will be up soon and gigs basically I turned down so many gigs i am getting peer pressured into gigging now I can't DJ and don't want to learn to DJ people expect to me play a set on my pc in the club on VDJ or something (what I use to record mixes)... I am learning a live set though at the moment when I got some free time... I dunno when that will be ready.

SS: Haha, cheers for having a little chat with us! looking forward to any upcoming releases mate..

N: Safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment